[lug] Device drivers: tape backup

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Mon May 14 16:43:06 MDT 2001

Scott,
You shouldn't need any specific device drivers.  If this is a scsi
device then it should exist on your system as /dev/st<x>, which x being
the number of the tape drive.

Check /proc/scsi/scsi, your tape drive should be listed there.  Then it
all comes down to deciding on a backup software.  You can use tar but
there are more convenient options.  KDAT (part of KDE) can make your
mouth watery.  You may want to try the free version of ARKEIA (personal
edition).  DAT drives are capable of fast file access and it is really
nice to use this feature for restore.

Ferdinand

"Scott T. Kelley" wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone knew of a source for tape backup device drivers?
> (Specifically, I am trying to find a driver for an Internal PowerVault 100T
> DDS4 drive, Dell PowerEdge 1300.)
>
> If there are some other good SCSI (Ultra-2/Wide??) tape backup systems out
> there with linux drivers out there you could reccommend, I'm all eyes! This
> one from Dell seemed resonably priced at $711 for a 20/40GB tape backup.
>
> Thanks for any pointers! -Scott
>
> -------------------
> Scott T. Kelley, Ph.D.
> Campus Box 347