[lug] NIS: Linux->Solaris

Anders Knudsen anders.knudsen at broadlogic.com
Wed May 16 14:39:52 MDT 2001

I have this mostly working and have been searching the net for an answer to
my issue. Maybe someone here has this working?

Situation: We have Linux workstations here for some time. All are using NIS.

Now we are adding 2 Ultra2 workstations, both need to run Solaris 8.

I got the Ultra2 attaching to our internal network as an NIS client.

On the Ultra2, I can:
* do a ypcat hosts, and get the right list.
* do a ypcat passwd, and get all the uids and the passwd field has the long
encrypted junk in there (not an 'x').
* do a ypcat group, and get the group list.
...basically it seems like it's working fine as an NIS client...until I try
to login as a user in the NIS database.

I can log in as root on the Ultra2 box and do an 'su username' no problem.

If I try to do a login 'username', NO JOY. The password is not accepted.

On my NIS server (RH7) I made the ypserv.conf file say "no" to mangle
passwords.
Still no joy.
Tried 'passwd files nis' and 'passwd compat'' for the nsswitch.conf file on
the Ultra2. (also for group).
Still no joy.
:(

So...is it possible to have a Solaris NIS client talk fully to a Linux NIS
server?
Anyone have this setup and working?
If so, I'de be grateful for any pointers and/or setup/conf files.

TIA,
-Anders.