[lug] kernel to user space transactions

Jonathan Corbet corbet-lug at lwn.net
Mon May 14 09:08:53 MDT 2001

> now we have a doubt that, like maping kernal space
> buffers to user space, weather we will be able to map
> user space buffers to kernel space(so that we can
> write data directly from packet capture
> function(registered via dev_add_pack))

In 2.4, you can do that with the kiobuf mechanism, works reasonably well.
In a month or so you can get a copy of the updated device drivers book
which will tell you all about how to do it.  Until then, a look at
drivers/char/raw.c in the 2.4 kernel source will show you pretty much what
you need to do.

Good luck,

jon

Jonathan Corbet