[lug] Cisco 675 security

Sebastian Sobolewski spsobole at uswest.net
Mon May 14 16:48:17 MDT 2001

I'm running my c675 in NAT mode.  And have the telnet and web ports (23 and
80) forwarded to my linux box siting on a private (10.x.x.x) address behind
the modem.   Now if i hit port 80 at my qwest (external) IP, I am forwarded
to my linux web/telnet server.  But, if I go to 10.0.0.l I can get both WEB
and telnet access to the modem from any IP inside my private network. Quite
convenient actually.

         If you want to run the modem in NAT mode and have access from
inside your private net, You can tell the modem to forward all port 23 and
80 access to some nonexistent IP on a private ip (IE:
10.0.0.254).  Basically this will route incoming scans to an ip that is not
used and the scanner will get a cnx denied.

-Sebastian