[lug] Wireless ISP - Sprint Broadband

Ryan Kirkpatrick rkirkpat at rkirkpat.net
Tue May 15 18:27:09 MDT 2001

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:

> Another note regarding this service:
> Based on the reports on this list regarding this service some people
> have great connections and others don't.  Well - I had an installer at
> my house last Thursday and got a chance to talk to him about this.  What
> he told me is that they installed several sites since last November with
> trees between the antenna and their radio tower.  Now as these trees are
> growing leaves they keep getting service calls because of high packet
> loss, which is sometimes also perceived as high latency.

	Guess that would explain why my connection has such low latency
and low packet drop. I have a clear shot all the way to the tower, with
the only tree even near to the line of sight being on my property (and
hence open to "modification" be me as necessary :).

> So - unless you can see that tower on Eldorado Mtn really well and
> without anything in your line of sight this service won't work for you.

	It was about time I got a break, as DSL and cable are completely
out of question for where I live, and ISDN was questionable at best. Yea,
there is satelite, but the latency on that would be horrible to the point
of useless. The price of living in the country, no cable, no broadband,
that is until Sprint BBD came along. :)

|   "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain."                    |
|                                            --- Philippians 1:21 (KJV)   |