[lug] Auto FTP file up on PPP connection

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Wed May 16 19:17:02 MDT 2001

"Mark (Andy) Jolley" wrote:

> I'm trying to get my dialup box to auto FTP a file to a server once the PPP
> connection is up, so I actually have two questions (I'm on Red hat 7.0):
> 1) where do I add my script to make my scripts kick off upon a successful
> dialup and logon?  I looked at my ppp-up script in the /etc/ppp directory,
> but it said to use a ppp-up.local.  I couldn't find one, so I made one with

That should be /etc/ppp/ip-up.local, and yes, it needs to be executable.  I use
it to call out to a time server (Mom's cable-modem-connected Linux box) when my
server dials up, so I know it will always have a pretty accurate clock.

Calvin

> 2) how do I automate the ftp process.  I'm more familiar with the M$ world
> and I can call a script with ftp -s filename to automate an FTP process, how
> do I do this with Linux, and who is the user that it will run under?

Hmmm ... by default, it would be the root user.

I'm curious - what do you want it to do via FTP?  Download new files?  You can
do that with ncftpget, if you have that installed on your Linux box.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)