[lug] NIS: Linux->Solaris

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Thu May 17 09:59:49 MDT 2001

To revert to DES passwords on RH Linux, you should be able to run 'authconfig' as root.  In other distros, you could have a look in /etc/pam.d for auth_unix modules and remove the 'md5' keyword, as mentioned below.

-John

Hugh Brown wrote:

> Look at /etc/shadow if all of the passwords start with $1 and are long, you
> probably have md5 enabled.  You can also go look through /etc/pam.d and see
> if there is a file with the keyword md5 in it.
>
> Hugh
>
> "Anders Knudsen"
> >
> > At 07:54 AM 5/17/2001 -0400, Hugh wrote:
> > >Are you using md5 passwords on the linux box and does solaris default to
> > >that?
> >
> > Good question. I know the linux box is using shadow passwords. But...how do
> > I check if it's using md5? I don't think it is.
> > I'll have to check the solaris side. I know that solaris does not support
> > shadow passwords over NIS. However, that's solved, since the symptom for
> > that problems is seeing an 'x' in the passwd field when doing a 'ypcat
> > passwd' (I don't see an 'x'.)
> >
> > -Anders.
> >
> > >Hugh

  - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
 |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
 |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |