[lug] LaTeX and distilling to PDF

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Fri May 18 10:19:54 MDT 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Hugh Brown wrote:

> There's another utility called pdflatex that you can use.
>
> In place of your dvips line I would run pdflatex documentsource.tex and
> then look for the resulting documentsource.pdf
>
> I don't know if it will meet your requirements or not, but it is another
> mode for generating pdf.
>
> pdflatex doesn't accept the same image formats as latex does (pdflatex will use
> jpeg but the quality tends to be poor).

Yes, after I sent out that question I did a "man -k pdf | more" lookup to
see what I could find.  That gave me:  pdfetex, pdfevirtex, pdfinitex,
pdfjadetex, pdflatex, and pdftex.  I copied my source files to a new
directory and tried pdftex, pdfetex, and pdfelatex.  The first two bombed
on my \documentclass{article} line.  The last one, pdfelatex, seems to
work.  The resulting pdf file text also looks clean, but alas my eps
figures don't show up - damn!

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)