[lug] LaTeX and distilling to PDF

Ronald Kumon kumon at boulder.nist.gov
Fri May 18 10:42:46 MDT 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001, J. Wayde Allen wrote:

> OK, just ran
>
>    dvips -Pcmz -o document.ps documentsource.dvi
>    ps2pdf document.ps
>
> and the resulting document.pdf still has fuzzy text.

When you look at your PDF document in Acrobat Reader and do "File:Document
Info:Fonts", do you see listings like:

Original Font   Type     Encoding   Used Font        Type
CMR10           Type 1   Custom     Embedded Subset  Type 1
CMSL12          Type 1   Custom     Embedded Subset  Type 1, etc.

(The exact listings will depend on your fonts-- "CM" is the Computer
Modern set used most often under LaTeX.)  If you don't see the embedded
Type 1 fonts, then most likely the PDF contains the bitmapped versions
of the fonts, not the Type 1 fonts.  If you see the fonts loaded into the
files when you run dvips with the "-Pcmz" option, then perhaps the problem
is with ps2pdf.  I know older versions of Ghostscript would *only* bitmap
the fonts, and that is why I switched over to pstill.  I haven't tried
more recent versions.  (One would expect Adobe Distiller to correctly the
fonts though.)
--Ron