[lug] LaTeX and distilling to PDF

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Fri May 18 14:46:53 MDT 2001

OK, I know have a method that looks like it works.

   1. Use the newer updated LaTeX2e graphics bundle (graphic or
      graphicx) instead of the older psfig or epsfig packages.  This
      allows you to embed more kinds of graphic formats in a LaTeX
      document.  In this case, the use of pdf graphics is important.

   2. Convert EPS graphics to pdf graphics.  There is a nice little
      command called epstopdf that does this.  One simply types:

         epstopdf image.eps

      and it does its thing resulting in a new image.pdf file.

   3. Process the LaTeX files directly to pdf using the pdfelatex command:

         pdfelatex document.tex

The resulting document.pdf file looks nice in my acrobat reader.  I'd show
you all, but since this hasn't gone through our editorial review process
that wouldn't be a good idea.  I might be able to provide a non-work
related demo though ...

Anyway this works for now, and I have some stuff to figure out so that I
can make dvips use Type 1 rather than Type 3 postscript.  If I can do that
then the image conversion step could be skipped.

Thanks for the help!

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)