[lug] LILO is not booting

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Mon May 21 11:35:04 MDT 2001

On 21 May 2001, Rijesh P P said:

> Dear Sir,
>
> I had tried to Installing  Redhat Linux 7.1 on a Intel PIII Machine with 128
> MB RAM.My Hard disk is 13 GB Seagate IDE hard disk and i tried only
> Linux(Means Single OS).
>
> The problem I am facing after the package installaion whie on the post script
> process it giving a "SERIOS HARD DISK PROBLEM " and asking to create a
> bootable flopy disk and boot from that.Then afetr The Lilo is starting from
> Harddisk, It became hanging after L on starting.It is perfectly starting from
> Flopy.
>
> Is it the problem relating to bios geometry of hard disk exceeding 1024.
>
> Please help me to solve this problem.

Did you partition the drive either before or during the installation
process?  It is advisable to create a small partition of between 5 to 30
MB as the 1st partition on the disk (in most cases this would be
/dev/hda1).  Then during the install, specify this as /boot mount point.
This is where your kernels will go.  I am unable to give more specific
instructions on how to do this in your particular case, as I am not too
familiar with the RH 7.1 install procedures.