[lug] iptables unresolved symbols

Lindsay Haisley fmouse at fmp.com
Mon May 21 16:51:29 MDT 2001

Has anyone found a solution to this?  The problem is still there as of
kernel 2.4.4.  A little research turns up the fact that the 'unresolved
symbol' errors are apparently related to what look like non-standard
module version tags on symbols that can't be parsed by modutils tools.
running depmod against System.map, or on a kernel compiled w.o. module
versions in symbols, produces no unresolved symbol errors, whereas if
they're present, one gets the error.

> charles> i have netfilter configured as a module in my current kernel
> charles> configuration:
>
> ...snipp...
>
> charles> however, when i try to load the module, i get unresolved
> charles> symbol errors:
>
> charles> [~/ipchains] Yes, my master? >modprobe ip_tables
> charles> /lib/modules/2.4.1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o:
> charles> unresolved symbol nf_unregister_sockopt
> charles> /lib/modules/2.4.1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o:
> charles> unresolved symbol nf_register_sockopt
> charles> /lib/modules/2.4.1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o:
> charles> insmod
> charles> /lib/modules/2.4.1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o
> charles> failed
> charles> /lib/modules/2.4.1/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.o:
> charles> insmod ip_tables faile
>

> charles> i am running 2.4.1 and have:
>
> ...snipp...
>
> charles> can anyone think of reasons why these errors are occurring?
> charles> thanks -cjm
>
> Humm...those symbols are in the netfilter.h include...they should be
> there. Some things to try:
>
> - are you SURE you are running the 2.4.1 kernel you just built?
>
> - Might try copying off your .config and then doing a 'make mrproper'
> and moving the .config back and re-building the kernel and modules.
>
> kevin
> --
> Kevin Fenzi
> MTS, tummy.com, ltd.
> http://www.tummy.com/  KRUD - Kevin's Red Hat Uber Distribution

Lindsay Haisley       | "There are no mistakes   |     PGP public key
FMP Computer Services | only unexpected results" |      available at
fmouse at fmp.com        |                          |   www.fmp.com/pubkeys
http://www.fmp.com    |                          |