[lug] email technical info

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Tue May 22 10:34:29 MDT 2001

My interpretation is that it's saying that IDENT is an untrustworthy service.  It can easily be (one could argue should be) made to return a crafted, meaningless response.  Incidentally, same goes for reverse DNS lookups, so maybe it's just telling you that you can't believe anything on the whole line, with the possible exception of the IP address.

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> I recently sent some email that bounced due to temporary route failure,
> but I noticed something that I wanted to find out "why" it says it, in
> the bounce message:
> from idcomm.com (IDENT:stimits at k56-pip66.idcomm.com [209.60.72.193] (may
> be forged))
>
> This is of course a dynamic IP on a dial-up connection, and I have auth
> port 113 running, what I'm wondering is why the "may be forged" is
> shown? Is this just a statement that the particular address *can* be
> forged? Or is it a statement that it lacked something to decide it was
> authentic? What does that message actually mean? DNS does have reverse
> lookup of that IP.
>
> D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com

  - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
 |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
 |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |