[lug] modifying redhat install

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue May 22 21:36:48 MDT 2001

"Riggs, Rob" wrote:

> The packages (IIRC -- it's been a really long time since I've messed with
> this) are listed in RedHat/base/comps. You need to modify that file in order
> to change the packages that are installed. If you want to modify the kernels
> RPMS to support the additional filesystems, then you need to grab the kernel
> SRPM, install it and modify the config patch file(s) and possible the spec
> file (at least up the package version number), and rebuild. You'll then need
> to rebuild the RedHat ISO image with the new kernel RPM.

Looks like changing the default packages for a workstation is fairly
easy, it's just a text file. I think the kernels built in may already
support reiserfs, although I'm not certain about it. My real problem is
figuring out how to alter the stage where one chooses which partition
will be "/" or other. During that stage ext2 is allowed, but even if
reiserfs works fine on the kernel, I don't think it can be
chosen...anaconda will demand reformatting with ext2. In the case of
formatting, I can preformat from another installed system, though it
would be nice to add mkreiserfs available instead of just mkfs.ext2. In
order to figure out what is in the image files, and to dissect the
actual installer, is there any way to uncompress/unpack or otherwise
view the installer program itself?

> Kevin Fenzi is the real master here... He's the "K" in KRUD, so he knows a
> bit about the RedHat distribution.

What would be really nice is if KRUD added reiserfs (and possibly other)
journaling filesystems. ext3 or SGI's xfs would be interesting. Redhat
seems to have made every addition needed to run reiserfs, but did not
actually activate it as an option.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com