[lug] Linux bench experiment

Rob Mohr robmohr at earthnet.net
Wed May 23 14:55:55 MDT 2001

BLUG,

I am planning a new distro tryout, debian, but before I do that I am
messing with the current setup, trying things out, as the risk is null.

One idea that I have for an experiment is with respect to deleting a file
directory.  If I should do this: rm -r /sbin <enter> what happens next?
Does it write to RAMDSK?  And if it does, may I power off the box, thus
wiping out the hideous deletion mistake?  Or does it write to the
swapfile?  What if it does?  Will an immediate power off keep the swapfile
from writing the  inode changes?  (correct, rm frees up inode numbers,
which, effectively mark a file as alive or dead?)

PS, this is a 486 PC, 20 meg ram.  Slow.

eof