[lug] modifying redhat install

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Fri May 25 10:33:39 MDT 2001

On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 09:36:48PM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
>easy, it's just a text file. I think the kernels built in may already
>support reiserfs, although I'm not certain about it. My real problem is

7.1 ships with a kernel with Reiser enabled, but that kernel also has the
reiser debugging code enabled which severly impacts the performance.  Also,
as Rob mentioned, it's not the *MAIN* kernel that you have to worry about
if you do an install, it's the *BOOT* kernel that has to include the
support for Reiser/ext3.

>figuring out how to alter the stage where one chooses which partition
>will be "/" or other. During that stage ext2 is allowed, but even if

There's an update disc floating around from a site in Brazil IIRC that
includes support for installing Reiser.  Sorry, I don't have a link to
it...

>What would be really nice is if KRUD added reiserfs (and possibly other)
>journaling filesystems. ext3 or SGI's xfs would be interesting. Redhat
>seems to have made every addition needed to run reiserfs, but did not
>actually activate it as an option.

We're willing to take patches that do this.  ;-)  Unfortunately, it's not
just adding a couple of lines to a config file to acomplish this...

Sean
--
 "Your documents always look so good."  "That's because I keep my laser-printer
 set on ``stun''."  -- Sean Reifschneider, 1998