[lug] backing up tar file to ntfs network drive?

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Fri May 25 17:21:02 MDT 2001

>>>>> "Kirk" == Kirk Ellsworth <ellz12 at yahoo.com> writes:

Kirk> I am backing up my apache web files using tar, but I would like
Kirk> to move them to my Windows 2000 Server (NTFS drive) machine on
Kirk> the network with my other Win backup files so that my tape will
Kirk> pull them both. Does anyone have any suggestions or cute little
Kirk> scripts that might help me move a tar file to a ntfs network
Kirk> drive?

it seems that rsync can talk to windows 2k boxes, although you might
have to install cygwin on the box in question.

   http://rsync.samba.org

another solution is to compare "by hand" (e.g. roll your own program,
which might be as simple as "find . -mtime 1 ..."), then use smbclient
(a part of the samba distribution) to move them. over.  there's also
an "smbfs" for linux, where you can mount SMB (again, samba / windows
file sharing) shares onto your linux drive ... and just do a copy or a
sync to there -- although i don't know what condition smbfs is in (i
have vague memories of it no longer being supported).

hm... rsync locally?  makes a certain sick amount of sense.

t.

p.s. pardon the excess of parenthetical remarks.  it's friday.