[lug] modifying redhat install

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Fri May 25 21:51:27 MDT 2001

Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 09:36:48PM -0600, D. Stimits wrote:
> >easy, it's just a text file. I think the kernels built in may already
> >support reiserfs, although I'm not certain about it. My real problem is
>
> 7.1 ships with a kernel with Reiser enabled, but that kernel also has the
> reiser debugging code enabled which severly impacts the performance.  Also,
> as Rob mentioned, it's not the *MAIN* kernel that you have to worry about
> if you do an install, it's the *BOOT* kernel that has to include the
> support for Reiser/ext3.

Since it is so complicated, I'm going to go ahead and test a few things
and probably ignore writing any kind of updates, unless I find
documentation that gives more explicit information. I have no idea where
the anaconda script is located (it is apparently python) that does all
this, nor do I know enough about the install CD format. I'm going to
test out XFS from SGI before I try ReiserFS. What would be *very*
interesting to me is to find out if there is some sort of install editor
tool that Redhat uses to create it's CD's.

> >figuring out how to alter the stage where one chooses which partition
> >will be "/" or other. During that stage ext2 is allowed, but even if
>
> There's an update disc floating around from a site in Brazil IIRC that
> includes support for installing Reiser.  Sorry, I don't have a link to
> it...
>
> >What would be really nice is if KRUD added reiserfs (and possibly other)
> >journaling filesystems. ext3 or SGI's xfs would be interesting. Redhat
> >seems to have made every addition needed to run reiserfs, but did not
> >actually activate it as an option.
>
> We're willing to take patches that do this.  ;-)  Unfortunately, it's not
> just adding a couple of lines to a config file to acomplish this...

If I do come up with such an update I'll drop an email to you. Trying to
create a boot image that supports XFS or ReiserFS or ext3 wouldn't be
the hardest part, I think it is the anaconda changes that would matter
most.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com