[lug] mysterious fstab

Harris, James James_Harris at maxtor.com
Tue May 29 09:02:41 MDT 2001

Well, I can't answer for everything, but you are correct in assuming that
the "LABEL=" causes a substitution with the device name.  This is achieved
by formatting the filesystem with a label such as "/boot", in this example.
When you specify the mount using the label instead of the device, it goes
out and mounts the filesystem it found at boot time with that particular
label.  This is a super cool way of keeping things more dynamic.  I suppose
these labels could affect a make bzdisk if it is getting information from
the fstab and doesn't understand how to replace the labels.

In case you want to verify what your filesystems are you can always take a
look at their superblocks to see the label:
/sbin/dumpe2fs -h /dev/hda1

You may want to do this on all of them, make a backup of the current fstab
and replace it with one that uses the device names instead of the labels.
Then give the make bzdisk another try, it'd only take a minute and might
resolve the make bzdisk problem.

-Jim