[lug] My experience with SuSE Linux

ljp ljp at llornkcor.com
Thu May 31 23:14:51 MDT 2001

I use SuSE 7.1 on my main linux box, on my laptop, and my firewall in the dungeon has RH (6.2 or so, I think) on it, (up 185 days!- and an old IBM color
monitor when I need to admin it from there)
I usually go in after an install and change things to a less automated state, and update important development libraries to their more natural state from a
locally compiled tar ball (I can't stand QT being together with all the other libs and includes...). Yast is ok, I don't use it though, same thing with linuxconf
(actually, I HATE linuxconf!) I don't want the config files to be hidden from me, nor do I want 5 different config files running the same software.

I use a firewall script called firemasq, and so far- so good!
I'm still waiting till the day that major audio recording software developers see the advantages of linux- open source or not.

ljp