[lug] My experience with SuSE Linux

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Fri Jun 1 14:11:38 MDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 01:02:05PM -0600, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:

> Existing knowledge always helps so I am not surprised that you fare
> better with RedHat.  I was talking about having to relearn things on
> SuSE that I already know how to do with RedHat systems.  This knowledge

Yep, that made the task of configuring SuSE more difficult, but we _did_ figure out what we needed to do.  In fact, we got it talking to the Internet with that RTL8139. But we did that by bypassing Yast, and my (admitted limited) previous experience with Yast led me to believe that it would wipe out my hand-configured networking info the next time Yast was invoked - or, perhaps, with the next reboot.

> transfer is also one of the major problems for Windows users coming to
> Linux.  They know how to deal with problems on Windows systems and have
> to learn dealing with them on Linux systems.

That _can_ be a problem.

(aside - It's even worse when they don't know how to deal with either OS, and one has to try to talk them through diagnosis of BOTH. I've done that over the last few days, helping my 13-year-old nephew in Kansas City determine just what caused one of his family's Windows computers to stop talking with the Linux dialup box I built for them)

> Life is full of compromises - SuSE Linux is no exception.  But I do
> think it deserves consideration and so do other distros besides and
> including RedHat.

That's true (I hope to play with an offshoot of the Linux Terminal Server Project soon).

Calvin
--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)