[lug] ACPI Questions

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sat Jun 2 19:58:07 MDT 2001

Prescott Oelke wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
>  I have gotten a Compaq presario notebook (1700 series). I would like to
> know if Linux supports ACPI. The reason is because I believe that the CPU
> fan in my notebook is controlled via ACPI. It hasn't come on since I
> installed Linux and the notebook gets really hot. I have looked in the BIOS
> but, in true compaq fashion, theres nothing there except BIOS password
> setup. I am working with SuSE 7.1 with the 2.4 kernel. Does anyone have any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Prescott

There is some ACPI support during kernel compile, and I think it might
require some setup in some other file to activate it (I'm not positive
where). I have heard of it causing problems too, so it might not be a
full implementation and it might work well on only some machines. You
can probably find more info in the kernel source directory
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/. Try this from there:
rgrep -r ACPI *

Items like this are also typically required to be enabled in RH in
/etc/sysctl.conf, but I'm not sure about this one.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com