[lug] NIS slave setup?

Anders Knudsen anders.knudsen at broadlogic.com
Tue Jun 5 13:45:48 MDT 2001

I am running a Linux NIS master server for some time without troubles.
I want to get a slave running.
The slave server is a Linux box.
I have ypbind running (and ypserv) on the "slave".
When I do a ypwhich, I get my master server name "master"
When I do a ypwhich -m, I get the available maps (passwd, groups, etc., etc.)

On the slave, when I try to init the "slave" database with
"/usr/lib/yp/ypinit -s master" I get the following:

Can't enumerate maps from master. Please check that it is running.

Well, I know it's running since I can querry master no problem. So, what am
I missing here?
I combed throught the NIS howto, and nothing deals with this message.

TIA,
-Anders.