[lug] looking up nameservers

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Wed Jun 6 15:19:08 MDT 2001

McIllece wrote:

> I noticed that if you tell Linux at install time that you will operate using
> DHCP, it figures out on its own what the nameservers should be.
>
> Is there a way to do this kind of nameserver lookup from a shell?  Is the logic
> for this in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-post?  (It didn't jump out at
> me)

The list of nameservers just gets passed along to the client from the server inside the DHCP response.  The DHCP server admin configures those for you ahead of time.  You should be able to use a client in test mode to see the magic in progress, 'dhcpcd -T' or similar.

  - John Hernandez - Network Engineer - 303-497-6392 -
 |  National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration   |
 |  Mailstop R/OM12. 325 Broadway, Boulder, CO 80305  |