[lug] RH 7.x word of caution

Robert Payne rpayne at rmi.net
Wed Jun 6 17:30:52 MDT 2001

No, you'll have to convert the ipchains rules to iptables rules.  It isn't
1:1, that's the downside.  The upside is that the iptables rules tend to be
shorter.
Also, iptables results in a 'stateful' firewall, making it is more flexible
than ipchains.  One can check the state of a connection (new, established,
related, invalid) and make a determination of the fate of a packet based
upon the state of the connection.
All in all, it's pretty slick.

Bob