[lug] Multihoming with Redhat

J. Wayde Allen wallen at lug.boulder.co.us
Thu Jun 7 11:41:24 MDT 2001

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Dhruva Reddy wrote:

> This gives me:  SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such device

Everytime I've seen these errors there has been some kind of hardware
level failure.  Typical reasons I've seen are:

   - Driver not correctly recognizing the NIC
   - IRQ conflicts
   - The NIC not initializing correctly
   - The NIC not autodetecting the active port

I've never heard anyone give a solid explanation as to what these errors
actually mean, and or indicate, but I think they are kernel level
failures.  Basically, your kernel isn't able to talk to the networking
hardware for whatever reason.  That is probably where you need to focus
your troubleshooting.  The higher level network configuration (DNS,
routing, etc.) won't work until this lower level problem is solved.

My two cents, hope it helps ...

- Wayde
  (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)