[lug] [Fwd: ALERT From InfoWorld: Expert: Windows XP could unleash wave of DoS attacks]

Warren Sanders sanders at MontanaLinux.Org
Thu Jun 7 11:17:18 MDT 2001

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:25:46 -0600
> From: Sean Reifschneider <jafo at tummy.com>
> To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
> Subject: Re: [lug] [Fwd: ALERT From InfoWorld: Expert: Windows XP could
>     unleash wave of DoS attacks]
>
> @State's security news at:
>
>    http://www.atstake.com/security_news/
>
> ran a story on this yesterday.  Basically, the ability to send raw packets
> is available on not only XP and 2000, but Windows 9x, NT, etc...  So, it
> seems like it's more hype than actual news...  The entry in question is
> called "Raw sockets are not a security risk" and links to a NY Times
> article (that requires a login).
>
> Sean

This must be a HOT report Steve Gibson wrote!  We have some words about
the article too at
http://www.montanalinux.org/article.php?sid=239&mode=nested&order=0&thold=-1

I thought his report was well written and easy to understand.  Not to
mention, exciting!

But if you read some of our comments, you will see that not all of what
Steve says is viewed the same about 2000 and XP.

--
Warren Sanders
http://MontanaLinux.Org