[lug] strange name resolving/ftp

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Jun 10 14:05:06 MDT 2001

> I'm a bit ignorant of nsswitch.conf. For background, I do not run DNS or
> bind on any machine. All machines point towards the ISP's DNS (and the
> firewall blocks any DNS conversation with any machine other than those
> of the ISP; I see lots of logged outside parties trying to reach my DNS
> ports, probably for exploits). This machine has only an ethernet card,
> and the machine it points to is not connected to the internet at the
> time of test (it uses ppp dialup). But I think the relevant lines you'd
> be interested in are:
> hosts: files nisplus dns
> ethers: files
> netmasks: files
> networks: files
> protocols: files nisplus
> rpc: files
> services files nisplus
> aliases: files nisplus

Additional note I forgot. I want the machines I use to consult
/etc/hosts first, and then the outside DNS at the ISP. About 75% of the
time the outside DNS is not available, but that's fine with me (I have
to hang up the phone sometimes). Internal names resolving is the main
thing, I'm trying to test client server software, as well as using the
two as a partial backup of each other.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com