[lug] interesting RH font discovery

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Sun Jun 10 16:54:03 MDT 2001

I was playing around with fonts today. Basically, I found that a new RH
7.1 was forcing a font that I did not like during startup, that being
lat0-sun16. What was happening is that I was using lilo to set my video
mode for console to something better suited to my monitor, and it
started out accepting it, but then it would force it into something
twice as large later and override my settings.

So I found it was setting this in /etc/sysconfig/i18n. I removed this
line:
SYSFONT="lat0-sun16"

I had expected this to aid my console font into doing what I told it to
do, and it worked as expected. My video mode was not overridden, and I
got the console display I wanted.

What was unexpected is that this helped Netscape in X11. I've had all
kinds of problems with fonts being too small in many cases, and scaling
did not seem to work. As soon as I altered this SYSFONT, Netscape became
scalable again (fontwise). It is far more readable now. Someone else
might want to try this simple fix if Netscape is refusing font scaling.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com