[lug] apt-get debian

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Jun 12 00:52:37 MDT 2001

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 11:52:26AM -0600, Rob Mohr wrote:
> Using apt I crash with either select simple mode or advance mode.  On the
> first, it throws out an error of
> E. Unable to write mmap -msysc (5 imput/output error.)
> E. The package lists or status files cound not be parsed or opened.

How much physical and virtual RAM does the system have?  You did create
a swap partition, correct?

What specific version of Debian are you trying to install?

> Using the rescue-root discs, I get back to the same point of Apt
> Configuration System.  If I try the advanced mode instead of the simple
> mode, it will continue a bit farther along, though eventually it drops
> back into a login request withthe same two errors ow mmap msysc and
> packages lists could not be parsed or opened.
>
> Right now the debain install is at the level of a dbootstrap, which is not
> very much functionality.

Yeah, running a Debian machine with only base installed would be quite
painful.

> Note, this is a three disc debian set.  And initially the apt system will
> read in sequence disc one, two, and three each time remarking about
> scanning and building a package index.  It all falls apart upon doing
> package installation.

Do you have apt configured to load from CD or from the Net?  Just
curious.  Trying to gather more info to be more helpful.

Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>