[lug] 3 Port Linux router

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Jun 13 14:49:55 MDT 2001

Just some quick thoughts here.

I assume you mean you MASQ'ed stuff and ALSO had to enable IP Forwarding
with by echoing a '1' into /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward?  They are two
different things, and I think I'm just confused by your wording.  No
biggie.  Glad it's working.

If you rebuild the kernel custom for that machine you can enable
ip_forward by default if you like.  Just a nicety if you like the idea.

As far as speed goes, check out the latest USENIX ;login magazine for
some very disheartening real-world testing done by Oracle and shared
with the Linux 2.5 Kernel hackers at their recent conference.

- Performance numbers for Linux in general for network stuff were very low
compared to FreeBSD (FreeBSD 77 kilopackets/sec, Linux 25 kpps.)
- SCSI support in SMP 2.4 kernels appears to have been very broken
(10 to 15 TIMES slowdowns vs. SCSI on a 2.2 SMP kernel -- something VERY
wrong there...)
- Linux trying to sort disk writes at the kernel level instead of letting
the hardware controllers do the job seems to hurt disk write performance as
well.

I can bear some of this out from experience -- our OpenBSD machines currently
smoke Linux for anything requiring huge amounts of network traffic.

That mixed with OpenBSD's (and Theo's) hard-assed nature on security
makes OpenBSD a better platform for business use if the hardware's
supported and the apps you want have been ported.

(Of course, no SMP at all no OpenBSD right now...)

Hopefully the 2.5 Kernel folks were listening...

I still love Linux, but in many ways the next couple of years will show
whether or not it "grows up" a little bit as far as performance issues
go...

Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com>