[lug] too many open files?

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Thu Jun 14 15:45:57 MDT 2001

Just in case you want to increase the number of open files that your
system will allow you can check and modify the number in:
check: echo /proc/sys/fs/file-max
set: echo YourNewNumber > /proc/sys/fs/file-max

I believe the default number is 4096.  On database servers and other
server type machines you can easily exceed this number.  I found that a
few busy postgres databases can jack up this number to over 14000 in no
time.

Ferdinand

David Trowbridge wrote:

> How long has this machine been up? rhnsd leaks file descriptors, so if its
> been running for a long amount of time, you'd get the error you see there.
> -David
>
> -------------------
> David Trowbridge
> jupiter at flatirons.org
> http://jupiter.babylonia.flatirons.org
>
> "Base 8 is just like base 10 really...if you're missing two fingers"
>         -Tom Lehrer
>
> On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 charles at lunarmedia.net wrote:
>
> > Jun 13 16:01:26 ed-penguin rhnsd[658]: Could not create pipe for forking
> > process
> > ; Too many open files
> >
> > i am getting this message sent to root on a machine that was just thrown
> > into my ownership. this sounds familiar, but i can't place what is causing
> > this.

Ferdinand Schmid
http://www.archenergy.com
Office: 303-444-4149