[lug] too many open files?

Bill Jorgensen jorg at sysmgrs.com
Thu Jun 14 16:37:15 MDT 2001

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 charles at lunarmedia.net wrote:

> Jun 13 16:01:26 ed-penguin rhnsd[658]: Could not create pipe for forking
> process
> ; Too many open files
>
> i am getting this message sent to root on a machine that was just thrown
> into my ownership. this sounds familiar, but i can't place what is causing
> this.
I would guess that there is more than one way to skin this. Whenever you
cannot fork and exec you have system resources tied up or restricted.

You can use the lsof command that was given in another reply to find the
culprit and start killing processes.

You can tune your kernel to allow more files open on the proc table. I can
never remember how to adjust that value off the top of my head - sorry. It
varies from platform to platform.

Later,

Bill