[lug] Emacs won't type "["

Glenn Murray gmurray at Mines.EDU
Fri Jun 15 12:39:12 MDT 2001

So here's an earth-shattering problem.

I'm using Emacs to edit Java source files in a DOS partition using the
JDE package.  If don't open a .java file in the Linux partition first,
the JDE shortcut keys get hosed.  If I do, the shortcut keys are OK,
but when I open a .java file in the DOS partition, the prj.el loads
and I can no longer type a left square bracket.  I.e., I can type it,
but it won't appear in the edit buffer, it appears as "[-" (no quotes)
in the command buffer (at the bottom).  If I type it again, "[ ["
appears in the command buffer.  If I then type "M-x view-lossage" I
see:

C-x C-f M u tab c c tab w o tab t e tab w tab n tab
backspace a tab n tab D tab return [ [ M-x v i e w
- l tab return

As you can see, I'm using tab completion to load my file, and Emacs is
seeing the "[", but it doesn't put it in the edit buffer.  If the
buffer already has a "[" in it, I can copy and paste it, I just can't
type it.  This only happens in JDE mode under Linux.  It doesn't
happen with JDE and Linux under Windoze.

Glenn Murray
www.mines.edu/~glenn/public_html/Welcome.html