[lug] Partitions hosed! Can't boot from floppy

Mike McCallister workingwriter at email.com
Sat Jun 16 10:04:57 MDT 2001

Hi folks!

I did a really dumb thing, and I'm hoping there's some way to bail out.

I have had difficulty running PartitionMagic dual-booting Win98 and Linux,
but now I have an urgent problem. I cannot boot to either OS at this time,
after letting PM "correct" a perceived error.

Some history: I've been using PM on different machines since v3.0,
primarily to manage several Windows partitions. When I bought a Dell
Dimension system a little over a year ago, I planned to run Windows and
Linux. I installed PM 5, then attempted to install Corel Linux. Corel's
install program did not see the PM-created ext2 partitions, so I let the
install program create new Linux partitions, which worked well. However, PM
would not run at all, launching a 110 error (I think that's it) whenever I
tried to load PM in Windows.

A few weeks ago, I deleted the Corel Linux partitions and installed SuSE
Linux 7.1. Again, I let SuSE define the partitions, and again things were
fine--both Win98 and SuSE booted fine from LILO.

Now, here's where I did the dumb thing: Since everything was running well,
I was curious to see if PM would work in the current setup. Instead of the
old error, it offered to fix a problem (what the specific message was, I
couldn't tell you, unfortunately). Like an idiot, I clicked Yes. PM then
did not load, but Windows still ran. I shut down the system, and went on
vacation.

Upon my return, nothing will boot. LILO appears. When I tell it to run
Windows, I get a DOS-like screen reporting "Loading Windows" that never
ends. When I tell it to run Linux, I get assorted fsck errors that I cannot
seem to repair. I attempted to reinstall SuSE and reconstruct the
partitions that way. It showed about 20 "new" Linux Swap partitions, and I
couldn't tell whether the data in the Windows extended partition was OK.

When trying to boot to the PM 5 rescue disk (or for that matter, the SuSE
LILO boot disk, the Win98 rescue disk and the Ontrack SystemSuite 3 rescue
disk), the system accesses the floppy once, and then seems to go to the
(hosed) hard drive (BIOS boot order, BTW, is floppy-->CD-->hard drive).
Then I get an endlessly-blinking cursor.

I'm assuming the system is completely hosed and I'll have to start over,
but I'm hoping to use some DOS-based data recovery tools to pull some of my
data off the drive. If only I could get to an A:\ prompt!

Powerquest's tech support seems clueless (it took three messages to
convince them I couldn't boot to floppy!), and SuSE support hasn't answered
yet.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Thanks!