[lug] config modem w/ mandrake7.2

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Sun Jun 17 09:22:41 MDT 2001

Jason:
When you query your modem it should send you a bunch of configuration
messages back.  I believe you mentioned that your modem works under
Windows.  So I suggest you test the waters there first.  Open a
Hyperterminal session to COM1 or wherever your modem is connected and
enter the same AT commands there.  You should see a response of some
form.  If you type ATH you should get an OK back, then try ATDT and some
phone number to see if the modem dials.

Once you have done those tests try doing the same thing under Linux.
You can use minicom for this test (type minicom from the command
prompt).  It can be that your serial port shows up as a different number
in Linux than it does in Windows.  My laptop does this and it can be
very confusin.  Do these basic connectivity tests to check that your
modem really works properly.  FYI - COM1 in Windows is usually ttyS0 in
Linux.

Hope this helps,
Ferdinand

Jason Davis wrote:

> >From: "Jason Davis"
> >To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
> >Subject: [lug] config modem w/ mandrake7.2
> >Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 14:07:34 -0600
> >
> so just to add a little more info....
> when i query my modem on either /dev/modem or /dev/tty0 it responds
> however ther is no info in the query return screen....is that normal?i
> have my modem set to xon xoff.....and i followed the modem directions
> by entering this at a virtual terminal....from the /dev dir.
> ...rm modem<enter>
> ...ln -s ttyso<enter>
> so...when i try to dial up my connect the modem reports as ready then
> will intilaize for ever...i always cancel after a min or two.  any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks
>
> jd
>
> jd_480 at hotmail.com

> Subject: [lug] config modem w/ mandrake7.2
> Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 14:07:34 -0600
> From: "Jason Davis" <jd_480 at hotmail.com>
> To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us
>
> hi!
> im a newbie.Im running linux-mandrake 7.2 .i just bought a controller
> modem to replace my conexant software modem. the modem i bought was a
> us robotics 56k performance pro. linux reconises it but when i try to
> configure the modem using drakeconfig i get the responce the mandrake
> can not configure a winmodem.....but i dont have a win modem.could
> some body explain!!
>

> thanks
>                                                                                               Jason
> Davis