[lug] config modem w/ mandrake7.2

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Sat Jun 16 18:43:02 MDT 2001

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, Jason Davis said:

> hi!
> im a newbie.Im running linux-mandrake 7.2 .i just bought a controller modem to replace my conexant
> software modem. the modem i bought was a us robotics 56k performance pro. linux reconises it but when
> i try to configure the modem using drakeconfig i get the responce the mandrake can not configure a
> winmodem.....but i dont have a win modem.could some body explain!!

Is it an internal or external modem?  Have a look at the boot log
(/var/log/boot.log on my distro) and look for lines mentioning ttySn where
n is a number, usually between 0 and 3.

If it's an internal modem (keep in mind that MOST internal PCI modems are
winmodems):

You should see an entry as I mentioned for the modem, as well as one for
each serial port you may have on the machine - most desktop machines these
days are factory shipped with two ports, laptops with one.  Assuming you
have a desktop machine, you would probably see three of these devices,
unless there is a resource conflict between one of the pors and the modem.
In that case, try disabling one of the com ports in your BIOS (press DEL
key when prompted during boot-up to enter BIOS.)

If it's external then you won't see such an entry for the modem itself, as
the modem is connected to one of the serial ports.

I usually run minicom as root to test a modem.  In the serial port config
menu, try setting to the various ttySn devices you see in boot.log.
After typing in one of these, exit the menu to the minicom terminal screen
and type "ATZ" and press Enter.  If it's communicating with the modem, you
should see an "OK" response.  That ttySn would then be the device you
would specify in your modem configuration (as something like /dev/ttyS1).

Sorry, I can't give you directions more specific to your distro, as I'm
not that familiar with it.