[lug] Re: linux

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Jun 19 09:47:07 MDT 2001

"Dhruva B. Reddy" wrote:

> So basically, as long as you have physical access to the machine, there is a way
> to reset the root password?  Sounds scary.  Is it possible to do this remotely?
> That's even more scary.

How would you insert the boot floppy remotely? Some popular remote
exploits though try to NFS mount your partition, and find a suid root
app on the partition, which isn't too far off from a boot floppy. NFS is
scary if not closely guarded.

A lot of modern BIOSes allow you to set a password as well that is
mandatory before changing the BIOS or boot records; and lilo can be set
to require a password. If you combine that with setting your BIOS boot
order to not check floppy or CD for bootable media, you're set. Should
you forget your pass to BIOS, you have to remove the battery and let
your BIOS die (reset).

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com