[lug] Re: linux

Glenn Ashton gfa at idiom.com
Tue Jun 19 11:15:13 MDT 2001

I found the solution that Ralf suggests yields an interesting result on a
box that I am trying to recover the root password on.

(Administrator of said test box leaves town, can't contact him, yada yada)

When enter the following at the Lilo prompt:

linux init=/bin/sh

It does indeed boot and let you in as root.  When I try to use passwd to
change the root passwd, I get the following:

Canot lock password file: already locked
Error: Password not changed
passwd: Authentication token manipulation error

Now Ralf had suggested actually nulling the password in etc/passwd.

My question is, if shadow password are enabled will nulling the "X" in the
etc/passwd file take care of the problem?

It's SuSe 6.4 and shadow passwords are enabled.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.

-Glenn Ashton