[lug] Weird directory in users home dir

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Jun 19 14:14:13 MDT 2001

"Scott A. Herod" wrote:

> Cute trick.  If I don't use the -F flag on ls, the directory "  "/
> comes through with blank, the '/' is stripped away.  I wonder if you
> could use a non-printing character rather than a space before the
> slash?

Yes, you can, but not from the command line normally. I've repaired
SuperForker style bombs for people before, which required use of
wildcards. Wildcards can easily get around that if you know about it
("find" for example supports regular expressions).

FYI, a lot of root kit script kiddies install irc bots after they
control the machine, as either a back door or something like an
automated welcome mat to announce that the machine is available.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com