[lug] hosts.deny syntax

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Jun 19 15:35:32 MDT 2001

I'm trying to clean up some /etc/hosts.deny items for a relatively new
RH 7.1 install. There are a few trouble domains I want completely
blocked (ipchains already does this, but I want xinetd to also ignore
them through its tcpwrappers mechanism). Basically, I want something
like this for a /16 domain:
ALL: 123.456.

Or this for a /24:
ALL: 123.456.789.

But this is not doing what I want, and for example, web browsers can
still get out and receive a reply from those domains. So is it mandatory
to add a service or daemon name as well? E.G., must I do something like:
in.httpd: ALL: 123.456.

?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com