[lug] hosts.deny syntax

Chip Atkinson catkinson at circadence.com
Tue Jun 19 16:01:42 MDT 2001

Exactly.  Tcpwrappers are used by applications to determine what inbound
connections are allowed.  The connection is allowed and made by the
kernel and even xinetd.  xinetd checks on what is allowed using the
tcpwrappers software and drops the connection or not.  An outgoing
program such as a web browser could indeed look at tcpwrappers, but I
have never heard of that being done.  You'd have to modify the browser
code and then you would have to keep other browsers from being
downloaded and used.

A multi-layer redundant solution like you wish to have is a good idea
for incoming attacks.

Chip