[lug] sound & modem irq??

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Tue Jun 19 20:19:02 MDT 2001

Jason Davis wrote:

> so the big problem i had was my jumpers on my mother board...i turned
> the internal sound switch off thinking it would just turn the internal
> speaker off....it actually  turned off the internal sound card>>duh!!!
> so i have sound back in winblows and hardrake sees my card..its a
> crytstal sound fusion cs4281. now when i try <isnod cs4281> or
> <modprobe cs4281> i get the reply that device is busy??? I would like
> to get the card to work, but if its easier and still realitvly cheap i
> dont mind geting a new soundcard...any suggestions? (at least i know i
> can disable the built in one now...ha,ha)

During bootup the sound card hardware was not initialized. That can be
for a whole lot of reasons. You could be using the wrong module, or not
passing the right parameter to it, or maybe something else took it's irq
when it was disabled, and now that other item needs to be forced
elsewhere. Your friend here is a careful inspection of
/var/log/messages, dmesg output, /proc/pci (assuming it is pci, which it
probably is if integrated), and lspci -v. setpci or module options might
help get it back on track. I don't know that particular hardware, so I
can't be more specific.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com