[lug] console bleed on the desktop

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jun 20 01:06:56 MDT 2001

Rick Casey wrote:

> I have this same problem. I just upgraded my hardware this year to the
> latest video card (32 M ram), new CPU box. How can the X11 server be bad
> if it came as part of RH 6.2? Are the xterm programs still under
> development?

It is all under devel. But most people are not using a real xterm
anymore, they generally use the gnome-terminal or kde equivalent to
xterm. It is the X11 server though that I am talking about having
possible bleed problems, not the individual applications. Support and
development is very much in progress on many of them. The XiGraphics
servers are probably quite good on anything they sell, while XFree86
would depend on the video card. The NVidia stuff is quite well done, as
are many of the Matrox and older ATI cards (newer cards are supposed to
have good support in 4.1.0, but it might be a mixed bag before that).

No matter how good the server is, it won't matter if your modelines push
things too far, nor if your monitor cable is not in good shape (along
with the video card being fully seated). And as the scan rate goes up,
it becomes more sensitive to dot clocks having anything but perfect
rising and falling edges.

Sticking extension cables or kvm style switches in there has a drastic
effect on faster scan rates; and if your monitor isn't high end, it'll
probably bleed or have other effects if you run it near its max scan
rate. So if you want to compare for example win versus linux views, you
have to do it while the scan rates are set to the same value. One
question is what kind of video card do you have? What refresh rate is it
using? Is your video cable running a more or less straight line (good),
or is it coiled up (bad)? How close is the current refresh rate to your
monitor's maximum? Heat can effect it too...how good is your
ventilation, and do you overclock anything? Is your video card properly
seated (they have thermal "creep" over the years even if you never touch
it)?

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com