[lug] terminal command line?

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jun 20 01:11:19 MDT 2001

Jason Davis wrote:

> hi
>   i have been trying to configure my sound card using isnmod...i have been
> trying this in virtual terminals.with no luck. Im wondering if this has to
> do with me using a virtual terminal. so your thinkin just try it in console
> mode right?Well mandrake 7.2 is not allowing me. I set the gui to start at
> boot(havent seen the option to boot to consol mode in install- non custom)
> and cant go to console mode now. every time i try linux goes to runlevel 3
> then start prossesing term signal and freezes. anybody?

In your /etc/inittab did you try setting it to default runlevel of 3? If
not, and if you can login to an X11 command line, you could as root type
"init 3" to one-time go to text mode. Console mode should have nothing
to do with whether you can insmod or depmod an audio module, but various
sound servers with X11 running might conflict in some way. There isn't
enough info there to figure out exactly what is going on. In the
/var/log/ directory, you should find the "messages" log useful at the
end, plus there is an X log and you can view dmesg for bootup items.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com