wvdial (was: Re: [lug] config modem w/ mandrake7.2)

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jun 20 13:59:09 MDT 2001

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, ljp wrote:
>
> > The thing I liked about linux is that things weren't hidden. I mean, once one
> > knew what files to edit, it was cake. But anymore, with things like linuxconf
> > settings are hidden, and even editing the usual files does not mean it will
> > actually change the settings.
>
> Yes, this is a double edged sword, and has been bothering me somewhat as
> of late.  In a sense, adding these configuration GUI's sometimes seems
> like the community is racing to make a system that works just like the
> other commercial products (I'll exclude the obvious names), and in doing
> so is creating exactly the same problems that these commercial products
> already have.  So far, the saving grace has been that under Linux if you
> don't want the setup wizard kind of tools you can usually bypass them.
> Providing you can figure out how to reverse engineer them.
>
> I think it is kind of a trade off in flexibility.  Maximum flexibility
> means you get lots of possible configurable pieces.  However, to simplify
> the system to make it "more user friendly and approachable by beginners"
> someone has to make some choices up front.
>
> I doubt that there is a "right" answer here.  The ability to have multiple
> distributions may be the thing that makes this work for the Linux
> community.
>
> - Wayde
>   (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)

What would be interesting is a tool that centralizes telling you what
file to edit and its syntax if asked, for a given service. So for
example if you used an interface like linuxconf or some of the gnome
tools, and clicked on the area for changing a network interface, it
would list all relevant files in the order they should be edited.
Selecting one would open it with your preferred editor, and give a
sample entry for what to change. A file editing training wheel, or
simply a centralized edit interface for experienced users.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com