wvdial (was: Re: [lug] config modem w/ mandrake7.2)

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jun 20 16:05:46 MDT 2001

"J. Wayde Allen" wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> > What would be interesting is a tool that centralizes telling you what
> > file to edit and its syntax if asked, for a given service. So for
> > example if you used an interface like linuxconf or some of the gnome
> > tools, and clicked on the area for changing a network interface, it
> > would list all relevant files in the order they should be edited.
> > Selecting one would open it with your preferred editor, and give a
> > sample entry for what to change. A file editing training wheel, or
> > simply a centralized edit interface for experienced users.
>
> It does seem like there should be a way to make this kind of thing
> work.  I don't think that the approach of "dumbing down" the interface to
> make it seem less complicated really helps anyone.  At least not in the
> long term.
>
> - Wayde
>   (wallen at lug.boulder.co.us)

I wasn't thinking of dumbing down linuxconf, so much as making an
extension tool for man pages. Think of it as a specialized man page
indexing system with a suggestion and editing extension. The goal would
not be to dumb down any interface, but to provide something to prod the
manual file editor along...making it more organized for the person that
wants to configure by hand, but doesn't know exactly all of the details.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com