[lug] KRUD 7.1 Hangs on Install

D. Stimits stimits at idcomm.com
Wed Jun 20 16:09:56 MDT 2001

kevin at scrye.com wrote:

> Stephen> While booting from CD to install the latest KRUD RH 7.1 on a
> Stephen> test box..  VA-Linux Systems 501 with Adaptec 7896 The
> Stephen> install hangs on screen "loading aic7xxx driver"
> Stephen> have left it for over 30 minutes with no luck
> Stephen> Pervious KRUD have worked just fine.
> Stephen> Any Ideas?
>
> yeah, it's a known problem with the new adaptec driver in the 2.4.2-2 kernel. ;(

My adaptec 7892 running on aic7xxx booted fine from RH 7.1 install, but
I am using SMP kernel. On some of the other kernels though I found
problems in /usr/src/linux/fs/block_dev.c, which is patched in the later
2.4.5-ac series from Alan Cox. The problem showed up at times in ways
that made it appear to be an aic7xxx failure, but in reality, the driver
was just finding someone else's bug. I do have more successful installs
with the bug if I use text mode instead of the gui install.

D. Stimits, stimits at idcomm.com