[lug] disappearing soft links

John Karns jkarns at csd.net
Wed Jun 20 18:47:20 MDT 2001

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Hugh Brown said:

> I am running Apache with tomcat and every so often a link that is
> necessary for everything to run disappears.
>
> I don't know of a good way to find out what is deleting the link.

Could be a cron script running for system security.  SuSE for example has
borrowed some file permission security checking scripts from OpenBSD which
change file permissions.  I have experienced this on ocassion myself after
creating a link /dev/gpmctl which would disappear.  They're supposed to
get logged and reported via mail to the user designated in the system
configuration.