[lug] Linux and ATT at Home

Holshouser, David dholshou at ball.com
Thu Jun 21 11:27:04 MDT 2001

some of the reasons that people (me) haven't @home working the first time is
that rhat uses pump, and the default config doesn't satisfy @home
requirements (I've heard that with tweaking it should, but I  haven't been
successful with pump.)

windoze method:
install @home software on windoze box
boot to windoze
get an ip
setup the rhat box to use static ip on external nic
restart network
done
once you have an ip, it holds for a LONG time (my understanding was that
your MAC gets inserted into a table and you retain your ip forever, others
have said that lease times are LONG. As long as you don't loose your lease,
you are fine with this method, many do this.)

other method (I haven't done this, call me lazy):
install dhcpcd, it is known to work with @home
make sure to include the hostname they gave you in the dhcpcd command line
(paraphrased, not syntactically correct)
dhcpcd -h "c123456-a"
you should get an ip and be off and running.